Wednesday

Detachment



I know the theory about detachment but sometimes it is so hard to practise it. This morning I drove down a ramp to enter the supermarket and found a car blocking my entry point. Who does that?

I didn't have an easy way of backing out, particularly after another car drove down the ramp behind me. Fortunately someone walked by so I could ask them if they knew whose car it was, and the owner soon emerged and moved his car. But the feeling of frustration stayed.

Whenever someone does something that doesn't seem quite right, I remind myself that sometimes I can do similar things. However it’s hard to apply this rationale today because there is no way that I would ever block an entry point to a public car park.

Hence the need to detach. The easiest way to do this is to mentally step back and observe my own reaction. Feeling frustrated doesn't really help me because I move into a negative place. Acknowledging the frustration and also that the other driver might have had an emergency or other valid reason for blocking the entry point makes it easier to let go of the incident and reach a place of calm. Ah, now I am detached and free.

No comments: