Wednesday

Hiccups

Today I got the hiccups just after I had enjoyed my lunch. I tolerated them for a little while, thought briefly about getting annoyed with them, and then said to myself, “Okay, that’s enough”. And the hiccups stopped. Now I want to know why. If I can work out what I did right here, then I can do it again.

Alternative ways of handling the hiccups had popped into my mind before I fixed it, or was it the universe responding to my request. I like both reasons so perhaps I’ll never know how…

I’ve read (somewhere that I can’t remember where but will try to find it) that one solution is to find a mirror and stare at your eyes in the mirror and the hiccups will stop, which they have sometimes in the past. I didn’t think to try this today as I was right in the middle of a task and didn’t want to stop my train of thought.

Another remedy is to have someone nearby plug your ears with their fingers while you drink a glass of water. Well, fat chance when there’s no one else around. But even when I have tried it out with my version of flexible limbs, which I really don’t have, this idea doesn’t really work well.

Well, whatever I or the universe did today worked as there’s been no sign of those pesky hiccups since.

No comments: